Welcome to the Mosaics.Gallery Inspiration page : : recommended books and links on artists’ lives, inspiration, creativity and mosaics : :
Recommended websites & online videos
- View the process by which Elizabeth Tiranti (de Ath) creates amazing mosaic sculpture in this Vimeo documentary titled “Life & vitality” and then check out her awesome website/studio “Inspired Mosaics” here
- The artist Ayhan Keser works a lot in mosaics and has a unique style and a quirky approach to his informative tutorial YouTube videos. You can check out his YouTube Channel here. He posts vlogs weekly.
- The Skinny Artist : : a wonderful online creative community, initiated and brilliantly headed by Drew Kimble
- Ever wondered WHAT ARTISTS DO ALL DAY? This wonderful BBC series on YouTube under the same name answers that question with short documentaries following all types of artists throughout their day. Kick-off by watching either one of three of my favourites: Polly Morgan, Jack Vittriano or Edmund de Waal
- Austin Kleon’s TED-talk on originality, authenticity and plagiarism; “Steal like an artist”
Recommended books on creativity
Eric Maisel is an expert on the psychology of creativity & inspiration who walks his talk. I was fortunate enough to be one of the first people to train with him to become a certified creativity coach in 2002/2003. His books are refreshingly no-nonsense and a kind but firm kick-in-the-butt that makes you WANT to deepen your creative life, with a natural productive pattern that is entirely your own as an outcome.
Austin Kleon’s book came out of a speech he gave at a highschool in 2011, based on a simple list of things he wished he’d heard when growing up. On it were, amongst others: ‘Steal like an artist; Don’t wait until you know who you are to start making things; Write the book you want to read; Use your hands; Be boring (it’s the only way to get work done.) He then expanded his manifesto into an illustrated guide to the creative life for writers, artists, entrepreneurs, designers, photographers, musicians, and anyone attempting to make things – art, a career, a life – in the digital age. Brilliant and inspiring.
Explains like no other the mechanism by which we undermine ourselves when it comes to starting and completing our deeply desired creative projects, and by understanding this mechanism, you’ll be able to tame it (it’s not something that ever goes away completely).
Refreshing, enlightening, inspiring musings by this awakened, ascended teacher, about the connection between our lives as a whole and creativity.
Recommended books on mosaics
Mosaic Art Design & Inspiration, by Martin Cheek
Recommended books on artists
Henry Matisse, by Hilary Spurling : :